When most teenagers start driving, they are vigilant about checking mirrors, cautious about entering intersections and careful to limit distractions. As the years go by, people tend to pick up bad habits while driving. So, when it comes to driving, are you a pro or have you become so relaxed that you don't even realize potential problems in your driving skills? Watch for some of these habits the next time you're behind the wheel.
- Speeding up during a yellow light. If possible, you should stop at the intersection.
- Making a quick left hand turn at a light even when you can't see if there is oncoming traffic. You should wait until you can see that it's safe to proceed, rather than taking the gamble.
- Not slowing down in inclement weather. Slippery surfaces and low visibility contribute to many accidents, so reduce your speed.
- Using your cell phone behind the wheel.
- Continuing to drive when you feel tired or drowsy. Instead, get out of the car, stretch, get a coffee and take a break.
- Following too closely to the vehicle in front of you. Make sure you can always see the car’s tires, which helps give you time to stop if the car ahead suddenly stops.
- Driving aggressively. It's not your job to teach someone a lesson by cutting them off. Let it go and focus on your own driving.
- Failing to use turn signals. Even though you know where you're going, it's important to communicate to other drivers around you. Use them every time you change lanes or directions.
- Relying on mirrors instead of physically checking blind spots. This small action can prevent accidents, big and small.
- Exceeding the speed limit to avoid being late. Learn to leave extra time for commuting, and remember that arriving late is better than getting into an accident.
If you're like most of the population, then you have probably developed some bad driving habits. In order to avoid an incident, be more intentional about making safer driving decisions.
Keep safety in mind when driving. Call G & H Financial Services, Inc. at 281.395.5497 for more information on Katy auto insurance.