The following 10 restaurant stories were some of the most notable we saw in 2016.
1. Kellie Messer began managing All Stars Family Grill at 26440 FM 1093, Ste. 400, Richmond, on Oct. 1. Messer—who also owns Texas Borders Bar & Grill at 20940 I-10, Ste. H, Katy—will operate the restaurant as-is until the holidays. She will then close down the establishment between Christmas and New Year’s for renovations and re-open it in January as a second Texas Borders Bar & Grill location. Menu items include wings, burgers, wraps, sandwiches, salads and soups. Beer and wine are available, and a full bar will be added upon the re-opening. 281-394-2100. www.allstarsfamilygrill.com
2. Cowboy Chicken will open March 9 at 20702 I-10, Ste. 1A, Katy. The restaurant specializes in serving woodfired rotisserie chicken, and other menu items include whole chickens, enchiladas, salads, sandwiches and seasonal cobblers. The restaurant will also offer catering services. 281-676-8202. www.cowboychicken.com
3. Growler USA America’s Microbrew Pub opened July 22 at 1443 FM 1463, Ste. 100, Katy. The restaurant specializes in American-made craft beverages such as beer, kombucha, wine and hard ciders. There are 100 taps on-site with a focus on Houston breweries as well as those in Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma. The restaurant serves sandwiches, salads and healthy cuisine. There are no fryers at the eatery, so all foods normally deep-fried are instead baked. www.growlerusakaty.com
4. Jax Burgers is set to open in early June at 20680 Westheimer Parkway Ste. 60, Katy. The restaurant offers made-to-order burgers, fries and shakes. 832-247-9239. www.jaxburgers.com
5. Local Table opened April 19 at 22756 Westheimer Parkway, Ste. 100, Katy. The restaurant features a large selection of foods, including burgers, tacos, wraps, salads and pizzas made with fresh and locally-derived ingredients. 832-913-6150. www.localtablehouston.com
6. Peli Peli will open in December at LaCenterra at Cinco Ranch, 23501 Cinco Ranch Blvd., Ste. R-140, Katy. The restaurant specializes in South African cuisine, serving a variety of steak, chicken and seafood dishes. 281-257-9500. www.pelipeli.com
7. Piggy Pibil is set to open in September at 4031 FM 1463, Ste. 60, Katy. The restaurant will be the brick-and-mortar complement to the local food truck by the same name. The family-owned and-operated truck specializes in cochinita pibil, a traditional pulled pork dish found in southern Mexico and the Yucatan Peninsula. 832-895-7070. www.piggypibil.com
8. Sertinos Cafe opened March 18 at 25707 Westheimer Parkway, Katy. The cafe serves specialty organic coffee from Oregon as well as various sandwiches, salads, soups, ice cream and smoothies. The business has a drive-thru along with indoor and outdoor seating. The Westheimer Parkway location is the first in Katy for the franchise. 281-769-2066. www.sertinoskaty.com
9. Tad’s Steak & Seafood opened July 27 at 1425 FM 1463, Katy. The Cajun-style restaurant offers a variety of dishes, such as gumbo, etouffee and po’boys. The establishment also has a full bar and several other amenities, including a mini Putt-Putt golf course, an outdoor dining area and games. 281-665-1149. www.tadsofkaty.com
10. Willy Burger opened a location Oct. 12 at 6191 Highway Blvd., Ste. 101, Katy. The old-school hamburger joint specializes in grinding its meat in-house twice per day. Burger alternatives include ahi tuna and chicken breast, and the establishment also serves french fries, onion rings and shakes. The Katy store is the business’ second location. www.willyburger.com
Article by Ryan Graff via Community Impact Newspaper.
For help with your restaurant, craft brewery or retail business insurance contact the professionals at G & H Financial Insurance at 281-395-5497.